4.12.2010

{With One Simple Small Gesture You Can Change A Person's Life}

~Ray is a member of the one-on-one club through the Mike Ferry Organization, and every Monday Mike Ferry has something to share to help agents succeed and/or answer any questions they might have. This passed weekend he sent this...

Good Morning One-on-Ones,

Pauline Webber ... a long time customer and friend, sent me this note on Thursday. I wanted you to see it because I thought it was quite a story:

One day when I was a freshman in high school, I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school carrying all of his books ... his name was Kyle. I thought to myself, why would anybody bring all of his books home on a Friday, he must really be a nerd. I had a weekend planned with my friends, parties, and football games, so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.

As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids run towards him, knock all of his books out of his arms, and trip him so he landed in the dirt. His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about 10 feet from him.

He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes and my heart went out to him. I ran over to him as he looked around for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eyes. As I handed him his glasses, I said, "Those guys are really jerks and they should get a life."

He looked at me with a big smile and said thanks ... it was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude. I helped him pick up his books and asked him where he lived. It turned out he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before. He said he had gone to a private school up to that time. We talked all the way home and I carried some of his books for him.

Kyle turned out to be a pretty cool kid, and I asked him if he wanted to play football with myself and my friends and he agreed. We hung out throughout the weekend and the more my friends and I got to know Kyle, the more we liked him.

On Monday morning, there was Kyle again with the huge stack of books walking to school. I stopped him and said, "You are going to build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!" He just laughed and handed me half the books. Over the next four years, we became the best of friends.

As seniors, we started talking about college and Kyle decided to go to Georgetown and I was going to Duke. I knew that we would always be friends and the miles apart would never be a problem for us. Kyle was asked to be the Valedictorian for our class and he was nervous about his speech for graduation. I was so glad it wasn't me having to give the speech and when I saw Kyle that day, he looked great. He was prepared.

He was one of those guys that really "found himself" during high school. He filled out physically and actually looked good in glasses. He had more dates than I had, and the girls all liked him. Boy was I jealous at times of Kyle and today was one of those days.

I could see he was nervous about his speech and I said, "Hey big guy, you'll be great." He looked at me with a grateful smile and said thanks.

As he started his speech, he said, "Graduation is a time to say thanks to those who helped you make it through those tough years ... your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach, but mostly your friends. I'm here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I'm going to tell you a story ... " and I looked at my friend with disbelief as he stood in front of the class and told the story of the first day we met.

He had planned to commit suicide over that weekend when we met. He talked about how he had cleaned out his locker, so his mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying all his stuff home. He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile and said, "Thankfully I was saved by a friend. My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable," and I heard a gasp go through the crowd as this now handsome boy told us of his weakest moment.

I saw his mom and dad look at me with that same grateful smile, and it was not until that moment that I realized the depth of that smile.

"Never underestimate the power of your actions ... with one small gesture you can change a person's life ... for better or for worse." Pauline suggested that we pass this on to our circle of friends so that you can read and appreciate this story as much as she and I have.

One of the things that Sabrina and I talk about on a regular basis is the incredible number of friendships that we have developed while working with so many great agents like you. We have also recognized that The Mike Ferry Organization is not just a Real Estate Training and Coaching company, but an organization that has helped thousands of people develop long-term, great friendships. I hope you're taking the time to do the same thing so many others have done and that is to develop a support group, not only in real estate, but in life.

Have a great weekend ... Talk to you on Monday.

~What a story! I had to share it too.

Love,

2 comments:

  1. That's a great story, I enjoyed reading it and it made me think of the little things in life that really do make a difference every day! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Ive heard that before and I love it so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for blessing me with your sweet comments!! <3 them!